Here's My Rant

Having recently lost out on a job because one of the other people up for the position (with less experience than me) would accept an unlivable wage, I know first hand what is going on in this country as far as corporations taking advantage of the desperate job seeker.

Corporations not only pay little, but they put you as "contract to hire" so that they don't have to pay you benefits. I guess that whole Microsoft-contract dispute from awhile ago didn't discourage this.

But while corporations are paying less, it doesn't seem that prices are less.

Have you noticed how expensive everything is? Not just gas (over $4 here), but Trader Joe's, the long standing joke of my friends about how much I love that place, is a noticeable hefty receipt. I'm not saying Trader Joe's is gauging. More like, the gas it costs the deliver the food costs more, or the materials cost more.

Gawker discusses how AOL let freelancers know they wouldn't need their services, but offered this:
You will be invited to contribute as part of our non-paid blogger system

If I was the poor sap, who had to type out those words. I would just walk out the door, and go sell hair wraps on the streets of Hawaii (ok, I'd have to fly there).

What have you noticed about companies? The workforce?

No comments: