Van Halen- Holy Crap!

The Van Halen show was great, and anyone who didn't think so must have initials S.H. and like tequilla. (Coincidence that the stage was shaped in an S?) Ok people, Im talking Sammy Hagar, stay with me.

Ziggy Marley's son opened the show, but I was out enjoying the overpriced beverages. Is Ziggy the one that has kids with Lauryn Hill? I can't believe I am digressing about Lauryn Hill.

On to the show:

Early on in the show I started sporadically yelling “I brought my pencil…gimme something to write on”, the last half of which I said in a JJ from Good Times kinda way. I guess I wanted people to know I was just being silly (and funny enough, I always seem to sit by people who sit during every song, even Jump. I mean, c'mon). Although when they finally sang Hot For Teacher they didn’t say that line, nor during Panama did Dave say “I reach down between my legs, ease the seat back” he said something like “I put the seat back, then up, then back…” Is this censorship because Wolfie is around? Or is Dave just mixing it up so he doesn’t say the same thing?


I don't know how old Van Halen are (Im guessing 50s, with Wolfie being 16?) but they sang hit after hit with barely a break. They all looked trim, except for Wolfie, and they all looked happy to be there. Eddie did several jaunty moves, but I can't help but think someone gave him a Guiness before the show.

David Lee Roth looked sober (not sane, but sober)- I picture him having his fresh squeezed juices, meditating about not screwing up on the lyrics. It's as if he knows not to blow this. He annunciated the words as if he wants you to know, that he knows his lyrics. That must've been annoying to have other people singing his songs. One time he said something about forgetting the words, but that didn't even seem real. I think he just got distracting from his posing. His chatting was kept to a minimum. He barely said anything that I could hear, besides some story that was an intro to Ice Cream Man.

I wonder what he has been doing these 22 years. Besides one arrest for buying pot, doing a tour with Sammy Hagar several years ago, and trying to fill Howard Stern's shoes, we really haven't heard that much from him in two decades. Maybe he knew this moment would come, when Van Halen would need him, and he just waited it out.

David Lee Roth is a very interesting person. I think it is to easy to say, as some have- he is odd, he must be gay. Sure, the disco ball and glitter confetti at the end might've been his idea, but I don't think I would say he must be gay. The large inflatable microphone was an odd touch, no doubt some phallic symbol he thinks is funny (see- I don't think the gays would be so obvious, but I could be wrong...).

I gotta say I love DLR's moves- the spin and kick, the high kick, the sassy knee lift, the kick ballchange. I really expected him to throw both arms in the air and yell "Just Jack!"

I thought maybe Valerie had an order of protection against DLR- can't get within 10 ft of Wolfgang- because DLR didn't go very close to Wolfie for most of the show. One time he did and Wolfgang had facial expressions typical of any 16yr old with the eye rolling and WTF expression.

I think Wolfie's inner monologue, when DLR stood next to him, went something like this: "Uh, I grew up with Eddie Van Halen...he would throw up and pass out on our lawn...my mom would make him live in the dog house, literally the dog house...and still I've never seen anything as f-ed up as this David Lee Roth guy."

I got teary eyed at several moments during the show- but it was extra sweet when Wolfie was kneeling down on the ground and Papa kneeled beside him, touched heads and gave Wolfie a pat on the head. Awww...

David Lee Roth had bizarre expressions and at one time I said to my friend "Autistic?" Perhaps Tourettes? He would stand after a song and give a proud smile like a 2 yr old who just made a doodie in the toilet "Hey- look what I just did!"

DLR looked at times to be having a stroke/having an orgasm/tripping on something. Whatever his deal is, I'm sure he needs it to cope with the Van Halens giving him the cold shoulder. They looked like they wanted not much to do with him, and Eddie, while he looked happy to be there, seemed to want to be far away from Dave. Especially when Dave was using the microphone stand like a ninja.

They sang just about everything I would think they would sing, and put on a kick a** show. RAWK ON!

Leave your comments about the show (but not about my mistakes in spelling please, it's late!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at the show and had a blast. I don't know what I expected, but the show was better than I expected.

The Husband and I saw DLR perform in Vegas (Hard Rock Hotel) four or five years ago. He was terrible. He had 2 guitar players with him and they still couldn't hit all the notes. That's the night I became an Eddie Van Halen fan. DLR was doing lame "spin-kick moves" (so very, very sad & lame) and I don't think he sounded very good. About three weeks after that show, DLR hurt himself doing one of those moves and the rest of his tour was cancelled. (I remember laughing when his publicist reported that he was injured doing a complicated martial arts move.) Last night, however, he sounded much better. I still thought the spin-kicks were lame...

DLR is as cheesy as they come. There but for the grace of Eddie Van Halen goes David Lee Roth to a Vegas lounge. In the years since he left/got kicked out of the band he was a radio personality and got licensed to become a paramedic. I think he's so happy to be back performing in arenas that there were times he just stopped to soak in his good luck.

Funny you thought DLR & EVH weren't very friendly. I didn't see a lot of interaction between the two but when they did I thought it looked like they didn't want to kill each other. After seeing them perform together years ago at some MTV or other awards show, when Eddie obviously wanted to strangle the living shit out of DLR, I think a quiet peace accord is all we can hope for.

Wolfgang didn't embarrass himself on the bass. I thought it was weird when he walked to the top of the stage during the performance. Kid can only be about 17 at the most, and he's standing on top of a stage, performing with Van Halen. Yeah, I know he's a Van Halen himself, but shouldn't he have to do something other than being born in order to earn that top-of-the-stage spot? I'm not sure Eddie ever went up there. And Wolfie is definitely batteling the Valerie genes. He needs to get to Jenny Craig stat.

When Eddie kissed Wolfie I thought to myself, "I wish I was Wolfie so Eddie could kiss me. But then the crowd would probably get grossed out when I kissed daddy back." Such are the thoughts in my head.

Anonymous said...

Love this post. The pencil, the high kicks, Wolfe's inner monologue. It's just too much.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.