Email From Bono

Imagine my excitement when I was glancing thru my emails and in the Sender row saw: Bono. Bono sent me an email! And I'm sure no one else. Just me.

Dear Laura:

My journey began in Africa in 1984, when I went to Ethiopia. On my last day there, a man handed me his baby and said, "Take him with you." He knew in Ireland his son would live, in Ethiopia his son would die.

That was the moment my journey began, and today, it's continuing across Africa. I spent the last week listening to and learning from the beautiful, proud people of Lesotho, Rwanda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Mali, and now here in Ghana.

Every person I have met only makes me more hopeful, more convinced that Africa is rising.

It's about lives saved and transformed, it's about the girl who gets to go to school, the mothers who will live to raise their children because of life-saving AIDS drugs, the entrepreneurs thriving and providing jobs...

It is not about charity, it's about justice. Together as ONE, we can do even more... this is our civil rights movement.

Today we are in Ghana where NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams will broadcast live from Africa for the first time. I hope you'll tune in and even turn up at a house party near you and see some of the hope, the new mood in Africa, I've witnessed here.

My journey has brought me back to Africa - I hope I can share a small part of that with you today.

Thanks,

Bono

No comments: