Why X-Men 3 is Doing Better Than Mission:Impossible 3

(Besides the Cruise factor)

AP:

"X-Men: The Last Stand" stormed to an estimated $107 million three-day opening, the largest ever for Memorial Day weekend and the fourth-biggest in box office history.

On the all-time list, "X-Men: The Last Stand" ranks behind only "Spider-Man," "Star Wars: Episode III" and "Shrek 2" for opening weekend gross. None of the other films opened on a holiday weekend, which usually gives movies a boost.

How they have the figures when Sunday isn't over, I don't know.

In my mind, the reason for this is because X-Men 2 was great. Love it. It runs on cable all the time, and no doubt just about every movie buff has seen it.

Mission:Impossible 2 on the other hand was stinky. What was with the face changing? Hardly ever runs on cable and just is not a good movie. Surprised they even made a 3.

On Rotten Tomatoes- M:I:3 received a "fresh" at 70% while X-Men 3 received a "rotten" at 53%. (www.rottentomatoes.com)

Fun factoid: Dougray Scott, the bad guy in M:I:2 (and cute Prince in Ever After) was originally going to play Wolverine but dropped out of the original X-Men to be in M:I:2. Bet he regrets that.

2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

I think you're right that the vast love for X2 gave the largely disappointing "Last Stand" its large box-office bounty ... it also couldnt' have hurt that it was the only major movie opening on Memorial Day weekend (wtf!)

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»