I Finally Saw Dreamgirls...

And its a good movie. It's no Chicago, but whatever. Jennifer Hudson, as you've heard, is fabulous. But Eddie Murphy was in it less than I thought. I wont be surprised if Alan Arkin takes home the Supporting Actor Oscar. While Eddie was good, it reminded me of his James Brown sketch on SNL where he sings about going into a hot tub. "Put your foot in the wa-tah"

I've seen 4 of the 5 Best Picture nominated films, and unless Letters From Iwo Jima is a horrible, then I think it is accurate that Dreamgirls didnt make the top 5. Like other movies that span decades, it always gets a little iffy when they reach the late 60's/70's- the songs and clothes arent as great and glamorous (Eddie singing that song about peace was a little dreadful). The end was cheeseball. What was the director thinking? I am surprised Bill Condon got a Directors Guild nomination.


-LB

No comments: